Matthew is scared to death of dogs but is trying to overcome his fear by spending time at the dog park. Peter re-enacts the elimination ritual from the reality TV show Survivor night after night, solemnly eliminating family members from the game.
Don’t Be a Dick About It is documentary filmmaker Benjamin Mullinkosson’s film about two red-headed young brothers who live at home with their parents. The director depicts his subjects with warmth and humour – the two brothers are often at each other’s throats, but when Matthew is away on soccer camp, they miss each other.
The warm feeling extends from the family dynamics into the surroundings. The two American brothers are growing up in the middle of a well-to-do neighbourhood, where the camera sometimes catches a deer, sometimes a rabbit, and even cars drive carefully. The easy-going rhythm of the film and the hazy summer light enhance the feeling of carefree youth.
Don’t Be a Dick About It won the audience award at the prestigious documentary film festival IDFA.
Kaisu Tervonen (Translation: Ulrika Sundelin)
- Director: Benjamin Mullinkosson
- Country: Yhdysvallat
- Year: 2018
- Length: 69 min
- Age limit: K12
- Format: DCP
- Cinematography: Ben Mullinkosson
- Editing: Bobby Moser
- Music: Trevor Doherty, Aman Singh, Kauai Moliterno, Scott Morrow Huss, Dennis Olanrewaju Broderick II
- Production: Jack Mullinkosson / Whitelist
- Maxim 2: Ti 29.1. klo 18.30
- Bio Rex: Pe 1.2. klo 17.15
- Kinopalatsi 1: La 2.2. klo 18.00