The Sundance winner dismantles the common ways of presenting young African American men in the Deep South.
Hale County This Morning, This Evening is a poetic social commentary on the banal African American life rooted in the deep racist south of Alabama.
RaMell Ross’ intimate documentary creates a whole new cinematic language and visual representation for African American male protagonists. The director follows two young men for five years. One of them ends up having a child, the other goes on to study in college. We are offered a rare, tranquil opportunity to entangle to our main characters’ lives and their communities.
Hale County This Morning, This Evening leaves a mark with its unique combination of simple and yet complicated narrative. The film won the U.S. Documentary Special Jury Award for Creative Vision at the Sundance Film Festival in 2018.
- Director: RaMell Ross
- Country: USA
- Year: 2018
- Length: 76 min
- Age limit: K12
- Format: DCP
- Cinematography: RaMell Ross
- Editing: RaMell Ross
- Music: Alex Somers, Scott Alario, Forest Kelley
- Production: Danny Glover, Susan Rockefeller, Tony Tabatznik, Laura Poitras, Charlotte Cook / Field of Vision
- Kinopalatsi 8: Tue 29.1. at 20.45
- Savoy-teatteri: Wed 30.1. at 20.00
- Kinopalatsi 8: Sat 2.2. at 20.30
- Kinopalatsi 5: Sun 3.2. at 17.15
- Itis 5: Sat 2.2. at 16.15